Winter tyres are designed to exhibit excellent braking power and handling on snow or ice-covered roads. Learning to use the right type of tyres and to drive properly would ensure a safer driving experience in the winter.
Importance of Winter Tyres
Winter tyres are made with a different rubber compound that has better grip in cold weather and an optimised tread width. This difference provides extra grip which prevents the car from slipping on snowy or icy roads. Even cars equipped with four-wheel drive need winter tyres.
For increased safety be sure to change all four tyres to winter tyres.
Braking Distance of Winter Tyres in Comparison to Summer Tyres
Factors to Consider When Driving In Wintery Conditions
- Before turning a corner make sure to slow down.
- Do not accelerate while turning a corner. In the case where you accelerate or brake abruptly, your vehicle may lose control.
- Use brakes on straight roads.
- On a downhill use the engine brake.
- Refrain from switching lanes on roads with a lot of snow.
- On icy roads you need at least eight times the distance compared to a dry road. Keep your distance from the next vehicle in front of you.