From developing a new tire to its eventual disposal, Hankook Tire applies world-class eco-friendly standards throughout. We do our utmost to incorporate environment-friendly production techniques to create long-term sustainability.
Since protecting the environment is essential for the sustainability of all companies, we consider the environmental impact not only from our manufacturing processes, but also from the use of our products. In this regard, we will further strengthen our research efforts to reduce the related impact, starting from the product development stage. To prepare for the era of Green Survival in which eco-friendliness is not an option but a must, we will do our utmost to protect the environment.
The EHS Committee and the Product Environment Committee are reviewing the progress of the CSR Vision 2020 Roadmap established in 2017. In 2019, we will set our mid-/long-term CSR targets considering SDGs and K-SDGs to start activities from 2020 to meet them.
EHS Committee (Worksite Environment Management)
• Chaired by: Head of the EHS Department
• Supervised by: EHS Planning Team
• Members: Safety & Environment Teams, R&D Corporate Management Teams, Facility Maintenance Teams at the Daejeon and Geumsan plants, and CSR Team
Product Environment Committee
• Chaired by: Head of the R&D Planning Department
• Supervised by: R&D Planning Team
• Members: Material Development Team 1, Material Development Team 2, Material Research Team 1, RE Competency Project, Raw Material Development Team, R&D Corporate Management Teams, CSR Team and a task force for chemical management system improvement
Future plan and mid-/long-term targets
To minimize our environmental impact on local communities, we will continue to reduce waste and water use while promoting treated water recycling at our plants. In addition, by gradually increasing the use of renewable material and recycled materials, we plan to develop tires made only from sustainable materials by 2045. We will proactively join the efforts to protect the earth through activities for improving fuel efficiency of vehicles, including making lightweight tires and enhancing rolling resistance.